Today we’re going to talk about Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). This can be a delicate topic but, unfortunately, children are not exempt from it and so I think it’s important to spend some time talking about it. In this episode I’ll share some background to PTSD – what it is and how it can be triggered – as well as signs of PTSD to look for in both school-aged children and in younger children, how PTSD affects a person’s brain, and then what it is that we can do at Connect My Brain to help children who are struggling with PTSD.
PTSD was originally associated with something that happened to people who went into war, but now we know that many individuals can experience PTSD, for a variety of reasons. I often hear people say that children are so resilient, but I really don’t believe that is an appropriate way to think about childhood. Some of our children are exposed to more trauma and violence than we realize and PTSD from these events can last months, years, or even for a person’s entire life. This can be an extremely difficult path to break out of, but it is possible with the appropriate supports. PTSD symptoms in young children can be quite subtle and look much different than the symptoms that an older child or adult might experience, but if these symptoms are not recognized and addressed, these traumatic events can have a critical impact on a child’s life and development.
In this episode, we cover:
- What is Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Causes and triggers of PTSD
- Children are not as resilient as people say they are!
- Yes, children can develop PTSD
- Indicators that you should get your child professional help
- Characteristics of children with PTSD – and how they differ based on a child’s age
- What happens in our brains during a stress response
- The significance of the psoas muscle
- How neurofeedback works and how it can help
- Sounds of Freedom Movie
- Shootings in the United States in 2023
- Dr. Laura’s new location, Brain & Body Rehabilitation Specialists
- Download Dr. Laura’s guide to Developmental Milestones (it’s free!)
- Connect with Dr. Laura on Instagram and Facebook
- Liking the show? Write a review!
More about Connect My Brain:
Why is this happening to my kid and what can I do about it? If you’re the parent of a developmentally delayed child, you’ve probably asked this question more than once. That’s where I come in! I’m Dr. Laura Hanson and I specialize in identifying the “why” and telling you the “what.” Join me every Thursday for a deeper look at how our brains are wired and how to get the most out of your mind. Are you looking to break negative patterns, overcome mood disorders, or optimize your potential? Maybe your child struggles with ADHD, OCD or other learning difficulties. Tune in to Connect My Brain, where I explain concepts like biofeedback and neurofeedback, brainwave frequencies, and much more. Let me help you change your life by changing your mind! Contact me HERE.