Today we’re continuing our deep dive into paediatric diagnoses and labels that so many children seem to have. My goal with these episodes is to help you understand how these diagnoses came to be and the specific protocols surrounding them. Unfortunately, all of these labels fall under mental disorders, which can really have an impact on a child’s future oppportunities. I’ve been working with kids for almost thirty years and I believe that I believe that sometimes these labels are given out too hastily and that clinicians are not actually looking at a child’s whole developmental and medical history. As a result, some children are given a label and a protocol, and no one is looking at how their brains got wired up and trying to fix the problems.
In today’s episode we are going to focus on autism. It’s important to realize that there are no blood tests or any other objective tests to diagnose autism – it is all based on observation. Additionally, the statistics about how many children actually have autism today vary depending on who you cite. Some say 1 in 100 children have some form of autism but others say the numbers are as low in 1 in 30 children. Regardless of which numbers you use, there is no doubt that the numbers are continuing to climb every year. So why are cases on the rise? Part of the reason has to do with the way that autism is diagnosed and the policies surrounding it, but I believe there are also biological factors that play a huge role in the rise in autism diagnoses. In this episode I’ll talk about the history of the autism diagnoses, the policies surrounding it, and why exactly the statistics surrounding autism are so unclear. We’ll also look at biological factors that influence the rise of autism such as heavy metals, vaccines, overuse of antibiotics in kids, and environmental toxins. Finally, I’ll share what is actually going on in the brain of someone with autism and what you should be doing if your child has autism or some kind of other developmental delay.
In this episode, we cover:
- The statistics on autism and how autism is diagnosed
- Why the statistics on autism are unclear
- How the CDC is coming up with their numbers and the problem with their approach
- How ongoing infection changes the brain
- How kids can develop immune issues
- Why healthcare providers need to look at a child’s full medical and developmental history
- The history of autism
- The pros and cons of an autism diagnosis for your child
- Is autism a real thing?
- When and how Asperger’s Syndrome came on the scene.
- Biological factors that contribute to autism
- The problem with antibiotics
- How a healthy, normally developing child can suddenly regress drastically
- Vaccines and the connection to autism
- The brain of someone with autism
- Mercury, lead, and zinc levels in baby teeth
- Immune dysregulation in autism spectrum disorder
- Dr. Laura’s new location, Brain & Body Rehabilitation Specialists
- Download Dr. Laura’s guide to Developmental Milestones (it’s free!)
- Connect with Dr. Laura on Instagram and Facebook
- Liking the show? Write a review!
More about Connect My Brain:
Why is this happening to my kid and what can I do about it? If you’re the parent of a developmentally delayed child, you’ve probably asked this question more than once. That’s where I come in! I’m Dr. Laura Hanson and I specialize in identifying the “why” and telling you the “what.” Join me every Thursday for a deeper look at how our brains are wired and how to get the most out of your mind. Are you looking to break negative patterns, overcome mood disorders, or optimize your potential? Maybe your child struggles with ADHD, OCD or other learning difficulties. Tune in to Connect My Brain, where I explain concepts like biofeedback and neurofeedback, brainwave frequencies, and much more. Let me help you change your life by changing your mind! Contact me HERE.