Today I have a special guest with me, a friend and colleague of mine, Dr. Jerome Lubbe from Thrive Human Care. Dr. Jerome has an incredible story and I was honoured to hear him share it. At age eight, he was run over by a car, and then in his late teen years, was hit by a drunk driver on two separate occasions. In addition to that, he’s had three other head injuries. Over the past 20 years, Dr. Jerome has averaged 80 to 100 full blown migraines per calendar year as a result of his brain injuries. After seeing dozens of specialiasts and spending over $100k on treatments, he was finally given a diagnosis but didn’t have a doctor who knew how to support a complex case in a holistic, comprehensive, and solution oriented way. This is what actually led Dr. Jerome into the field of chiropractors and his main focus is complex and unresolved cases.
In addition to sharing his story, Dr. Jerome shared some of the additional consequences of brain injuries that people might not think about – psychological, cognitive, relational, mental, and emotional consequences. He also shared his thoughts on rest and fatigue. Dr. Jerome knows firsthand the importance of being fully rested and ensuring that our lifestyles are sustainable for our health. Because of his own health needs, he views himself as a patient first and a doctor second. I was really impressed with the way he builds his schedule in order to ensure that he has the time he needs to rest. In our conversation, Dr. Jerome shared three questions he encourages patients to ask about their own fatigue and I really think that everyone should be asking themselves those questions. It turns out that fatigue shows up in the body in many different ways and can sometimes manifest as anxiety, depression, or other mental health problems. I am so thankful Dr. Jerome was able to take the time to share with us today.
In this episode, we cover:
- Dr. Jerome’s own story of major brain injury and how it influenced his career path
- Short and long term consequences of brain injuries
- The importance of being fully rested and long term consequences of fatigue
- Three questions to ask yourself about your fatigue
- Dr. Jerome’s approach to his work and what kind of patients he sees
- Visit Dr. Jerome’s website, Dr. Jerome
- Connect with Dr. Jerome on Instagram, Facebook and YouTube
- Listen to other podcasts Dr. Jerome as been a guest on: -> Listen Notes
- Follow Connect My Brain on YouTube
- Follow Dr. Laura Hanson on YouTube *NEW*
- Dr. Laura’s new location, Brain & Body Rehabilitation Specialists
- Download Dr. Laura’s guide to Developmental Milestones (it’s free!)
- Connect with Dr. Laura on Instagram and Facebook
- Liking the show? Write a review!
More about Connect My Brain:
Why is this happening to my kid and what can I do about it? If you’re the parent of a developmentally delayed child, you’ve probably asked this question more than once. That’s where I come in! I’m Dr. Laura Hanson and I specialize in identifying the “why” and telling you the “what.” Join me every Thursday for a deeper look at how our brains are wired and how to get the most out of your mind. Are you looking to break negative patterns, overcome mood disorders, or optimize your potential? Maybe your child struggles with ADHD, OCD or other learning difficulties. Tune in to Connect My Brain, where I explain concepts like biofeedback and neurofeedback, brainwave frequencies, and much more. Let me help you change your life by changing your mind! Contact me HERE.