Today’s episode is part 3 of our miniseries on the history of Dyslexia. When a child does not respond to a typical medical approach to cognitive and emotional issues, that’s when an alternative approach and different types of perspectives is usually sought out – a perspective like mine. I look at the circuitry of the brain and the developmental processes that each person needs to go through. Through a developmental assessment we can literally pinpoint where things did not come together correctly and why you are seeing what your seeing right now in your child.
One of the things I learned early on as I was getting advanced training in pediatrics is there is a very important process called lateralization that is needed to organize the brain. I talk about how the circuitry of the brain, right/left dominance, and developmental milestones affect lateralization, learning outcomes, and emotional regulation that can lead to a diagnosis of Dyslexia. I also discuss looking at the body’s physical responses for root causes of academic issues, including eyes, ear, hand, and foot, that can affect the developmental sequence. Be sure to listen to the end where I share a simple test to see if your child has lateralized correctly.
In this episode, we cover:
- Summary of last two episodes on Dyslexia
- Why a developmental assessment can be key to understanding why your child may be struggling and how to find the root causes
- The innate process of lateralization in the brain, coordination of circuitry, and left/right dominance
- The permanence and effects of labelling your child with a diagnosis and categorization of mental disorder
- Eye, ear, hand, and foot connections with cerebral dominance and sensory confusion
- The network of connections inside your brain that allows you to perform and build upon new tasks
- How the brain processes letters and symbols to words, reading, and understanding and the connection between the visual and spoken language
- A simple test to see if your child has lateralized correctly
- Dr. Laura’s new location, Brain & Body Rehabilitation Specialists
- Download Dr. Laura’s guide to Developmental Milestones (it’s free!)
- Connect with Dr. Laura on Instagram and Facebook
- Liking the show? Write a review!
More about Connect My Brain:
Why is this happening to my kid and what can I do about it? If you’re the parent of a developmentally delayed child, you’ve probably asked this question more than once. That’s where I come in! I’m Dr. Laura Hanson and I specialize in identifying the “why” and telling you the “what.” Join me every Thursday for a deeper look at how our brains are wired and how to get the most out of your mind. Are you looking to break negative patterns, overcome mood disorders, or optimize your potential? Maybe your child struggles with ADHD, OCD or other learning difficulties. Tune in to Connect My Brain, where I explain concepts like biofeedback and neurofeedback, brainwave frequencies, and much more. Let me help you change your life by changing your mind! Contact me HERE.