Listen on: Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and Google Podcasts
Today we’re continuing our current series and learning all about reflexes! Today I’ll be teaching you about two reflexes – the Palmar reflex and the Asymmetrical Tonic Neck Reflex (ATNR). These two reflexes are classified as primitive reflexes which means they are already present in a baby during pregnancy. These reflexes have very important neurological functions during gestation and the first weeks and months of a newborn baby’s life.
In this episode, I give a detailed overview of what each of these two reflexes does, why they’re so important, and how they set a baby up for success later in childhood and as an adult. If these reflexes don’t properly integrate, they can impede a child’s fine motor skills and eye-hand coordination, their ability to crawl, speak, and write. I want people to understand that development is like a scaffold. These reflexes lay down important patterns in our brains – before we learn sensory motor connection. If we want to get to the root problems of child developmental issues, we need to look at these reflexes. If kids are missing any of these essential pieces in their development, their brains and bodies will adapt, but these adaptations come at a cost. I hope this episode will be informative and helpful and give you the tools you need to help your child reach their full potential!
In this episode, we cover:
- Overview of the palmar reflex
- ANTR and its role in pregnancy, the birth process, and child development
- How the Palmar, ATNR, and Moro reflexes are linked
- Signs and consequences of absent reflexes at birth and retained reflexes in childhood
- Why these reflexes matter
- How to check for lateralization in your child
- The cost of adaption
- Follow Connect My Brain on YouTube
- Follow Dr. Laura Hanson on YouTube *NEW*
- Dr. Laura’s new location, Brain & Body Rehabilitation Specialists
- Download Dr. Laura’s guide to Developmental Milestones (it’s free!)
- Connect with Dr. Laura on Instagram and Facebook
- Liking the show? Write a review!
More about Connect My Brain:
Why is this happening to my kid and what can I do about it? If you’re the parent of a developmentally delayed child, you’ve probably asked this question more than once. That’s where I come in! I’m Dr. Laura Hanson and I specialize in identifying the “why” and telling you the “what.” Join me every Thursday for a deeper look at how our brains are wired and how to get the most out of your mind. Are you looking to break negative patterns, overcome mood disorders, or optimize your potential? Maybe your child struggles with ADHD, OCD or other learning difficulties. Tune in to Connect My Brain, where I explain concepts like biofeedback and neurofeedback, brainwave frequencies, and much more. Let me help you change your life by changing your mind! Contact me HERE.