If you’ve been following along with the past several episodes, you’ll know I’ve been doing a series where I take a look at some of the most common childhood labels and diagnoses (including ADHD, anxiety, dyslexia, autism, and PANS/PANDAS) and taking a deep dive into each of them. In these episodes I’ve taken you through the history of each diagnosis and the mainstream narrative surrounding them and my goal was to break down traditional ways of thinking and help you look at these labels (and your child!) from a different perspective. Today’s episode will conclude this series and what I want to focus on today is really the question of, if diagnoses are continuing to climb, what do we need to be doing differently?
In this I talk about learning challenges in a more general sense and focus on cognitive flexibility, motivation, and how the lockdowns of 2020 are still affecting our kids today, much more than you might think. Although I’m sure many of us would rather forget the events of 2020 and the years following, we need to realize that these events changed our kids. Sure, the labels and diagnoses that we talked about in the past few episodes existed before the pandemic started, but these diagnoses are continuing to climb and we would be naive to think that the effects of the lockdowns on our kids are all in the past. This episode will have a strong focus on the far-reaching influence of the 2020 lockdowns, but I also talk about how motivation develops, how technologys is deeply influencing our children’s brains and behaviours, and where to start if you see your child struggling in school.
In this episode, we cover:
- How school could actually be quashing your child’s natural love of learning
- Acknowledging our own role in our child’s development
- How your child’s experiences shape their views on education
- The effects of technology on kids under the age of six
- How the 2020 lockdowns hurt our kids
- School is not just a place for learning academics
- How screen time is hurting your toddler’s fine motor skills and spatial awareness
- The history and drawbacks of electronic educational toys and “smart” toys
- How technology influences motivation and changes our brains
- How the lockdowns of 2020 are directly affecting your child today
- The theories behind motivation
- Sensory motor development and motivation
- Figuring out why your child is struggling
- Dr. Laura’s new location, Brain & Body Rehabilitation Specialists
- Download Dr. Laura’s guide to Developmental Milestones (it’s free!)
- Connect with Dr. Laura on Instagram and Facebook
- Liking the show? Write a review!
More about Connect My Brain:
Why is this happening to my kid and what can I do about it? If you’re the parent of a developmentally delayed child, you’ve probably asked this question more than once. That’s where I come in! I’m Dr. Laura Hanson and I specialize in identifying the “why” and telling you the “what.” Join me every Thursday for a deeper look at how our brains are wired and how to get the most out of your mind. Are you looking to break negative patterns, overcome mood disorders, or optimize your potential? Maybe your child struggles with ADHD, OCD or other learning difficulties. Tune in to Connect My Brain, where I explain concepts like biofeedback and neurofeedback, brainwave frequencies, and much more. Let me help you change your life by changing your mind! Contact me HERE.