In today’s episode we’re going to spend some time on one of my favourite topics – reflexes! If you’ve been following the Connect My Brain podcast for even a short time then this won’t come as a surprise. Today we’re going to talk specifically about the tonic labyrinthine reflex, or TLR. The TLR is extremely far-reaching and is connected to our center of gravity. When it’s not integrated properly, it causes balance issues, proprioceptive issues, and more.
As we talk about TLR, we will also talk about the importance of addressing the root cause of the struggles your children might be having. For example, if a child is having trouble with reading or math we might first try to find them a tutor. If the problem is purely academic, this might help. However, if the problem is related to something deeper (such as a reflex not integrating properly and causing problems in the ocular system), then this will only be a short-term fix and as soon as the tutoring term ends, the child will be back to square one. We cannot try to work on our children’s higher brain function without fixing the lower brain function or they will always be tripped up. We need to get to the root cause and focus on resolution instead of adaptation.
In this episode, we cover:
- Getting to the root cause of your child’s struggles
- Resolution vs. adaptation
- The most common problems I see in my practice – developmental issues and stress
- The reach and influence of the tonic labyrinthine reflex (TLR)
- Working from the bottom-up
- Making change that sticks
- Work with Dr. Laura on primitive reflex integration
- Dr. Laura’s new location, Brain & Body Rehabilitation Specialists
- Download Dr. Laura’s guide to Developmental Milestones (it’s free!)
- Connect with Dr. Laura on Instagram and Facebook
- Liking the show? Write a review!
More about Connect My Brain:
Why is this happening to my kid and what can I do about it? If you’re the parent of a developmentally delayed child, you’ve probably asked this question more than once. That’s where I come in! I’m Dr. Laura Hanson and I specialize in identifying the “why” and telling you the “what.” Join me every Thursday for a deeper look at how our brains are wired and how to get the most out of your mind. Are you looking to break negative patterns, overcome mood disorders, or optimize your potential? Maybe your child struggles with ADHD, OCD or other learning difficulties. Tune in to Connect My Brain, where I explain concepts like biofeedback and neurofeedback, brainwave frequencies, and much more. Let me help you change your life by changing your mind! Contact me HERE.