Welcome back to season two of the Connect My Brain podcast! This season we are going to focus on childhood development and today we’re jumping right in talking about developmental milestones and why you need to pay attention to them. In February of 2022 the CDC actually changed the developmental milestones to match what they see happening in kids today. This means our children are not developing the way they used to and this is a big problem!
In this episode I talk about paying attention to developmental milestones and what these milestones can tell us about our kids. I also dive into the use of screen time, the way it physically changes kids’ brains, and how those changes affect our kids in the long term. I also talk about movement patterns and why things like learning to crawl and learning to walk are not just physical milestones – they’re also important for a healthy brain – and if your child is doing these things atypically, it can actually lead to faulty wiring in their brains. But don’t worry – the earlier we catch these things, the easier they are to fix. Listen in to learn more.
In this episode, we cover:
- Why the CDC’s recent update of developmental milestones is concerning
- Why developmental milestones are important to pay attention to
- The way screen time changes our brains
- How physical movements are related to brain activity
- How to test if your child’s movement-brain relationship is progressing the way it should
- Supporting good brain organization
- Episode 22: The importance of developmental milestones
- Episode 23: Common interruptions in childhood developmental milestones
- Episode 24: The long-term effects of chronic stress on children
- Episode 25: How the birth process affects a baby’s physiological development
- Episode 26: The link between gut health and brain development
- Episode 27: The link between body chemistry and developmental delay
- Episode 28: How to identify signs of developmental delay
- Episode 29: The methods used to evaluate and treat patients at Connect My Brain
- Episode 30: Success Story: A Mom’s Perspective on Connect My Brain
- Connect with Dr. Laura on Instagram and Facebook
- Liking the show? Write a review!
More about Connect My Brain:
Why is this happening to my kid and what can I do about it? If you’re the parent of a developmentally delayed child, you’ve probably asked this question more than once. That’s where I come in! I’m Dr. Laura Hanson and I specialize in identifying the “why” and telling you the “what.” Join me every Thursday for a deeper look at how our brains are wired and how to get the most out of your mind. Are you looking to break negative patterns, overcome mood disorders, or optimize your potential? Maybe your child struggles with ADHD, OCD or other learning difficulties. Tune in to Connect My Brain, where I explain concepts like biofeedback and neurofeedback, brainwave frequencies, and much more. Let me help you change your life by changing your mind.