You might not have paid much attention in your high school chemistry class (or maybe you skipped it altogether), but today we’re going to talk all about body chemistry and how it relates to developmental delay and you’re going to want to pay attention. There is so much chemistry for us to talk about and I’m just going to barely skim the surface in this conversation. Our immune systems (the hallmark of how we deal with body chemistry) doesn’t mature until age 3. That means whatever is going on in a child’s body in those first three years is the role of model of how that system is going to function. When children are constantly given broad-spectrum antibiotics, their good bacteria is wiped out over and over again, and they are literally programming their bodies to be sick!
In this episode, I’ll talk about just a few ways in which our body chemistry can be thrown off balance, why that’s problematic, and some of the ways we can restore that balance. Everything from ear infections, to strep throat, to asthma and allergies is somehow linked to our body chemistry so the way we treat these illnesses matters – we need to address the root cause and balance the body chemistry before we can really help a patient. If a patient’s body chemistry isn’t properly balanced, then, no matter what we do, it won’t stick. We need our bodies to be balanced – one small thing that’s off can have a huge effect.
In this episode, we cover:
- Why ear infections are common (but not normal) and how we should be treating them
- The problem with broad-spectrum antibiotics
- Developmental delay linked to vestibular problems
- The streptococcus bacteria and how it manages to stay in your body for years
- You could actually be programming your body to be sick
- The truth about cholesterol
- Episode 22: The importance of developmental milestones
- Episode 23: Common interruptions in childhood developmental milestones
- Episode 24: The long-term effects of chronic stress on children
- Episode 25: How the birth process affects a baby’s physiological development
- Episode 26: The link between gut health and brain development
- Episode 27: The link between body chemistry and developmental delay
- Episode 28: How to identify signs of developmental delay
- Episode 29: The methods used to evaluate and treat patients at Connect My Brain
- Episode 30: Success Story: A Mom’s Perspective on Connect My Brain
More about Connect My Brain:
Why is this happening to my kid and what can I do about it? If you’re the parent of a developmentally delayed child, you’ve probably asked this question more than once. That’s where I come in! I’m Dr. Laura Hanson and I specialize in identifying the “why” and telling you the “what.” Join me every Thursday for a deeper look at how our brains are wired and how to get the most out of your mind. Are you looking to break negative patterns, overcome mood disorders, or optimize your potential? Maybe your child struggles with ADHD, OCD or other learning difficulties. Tune in to Connect My Brain, where I explain concepts like biofeedback and neurofeedback, brainwave frequencies, and much more. Let me help you change your life by changing your mind!