This is the fifth episode in our childhood development series. Today I will be talking specifically about gut health and the way it impacts brain development. The human gut takes approximately two years to fully mature and the human immune system takes about three years. That means the foods and germs a child is exposed to in their first few years of life will have a strong impact on your child’s overall health and development. In this episode, I talk specifically about the importance of nutrition for babies and kids, but many of these ideas can be applied to older children and adults as well.
Going to the grocery store and grabbing your child’s favorite foods is convenient and most people do it without a second thought. However, it is essential that we take a look at what your are feeding your children. As parents and caregivers, your need to be hyper-aware of the ingredients used in foods and the effect of these ingredients on your children. Each ingredient a child consumes will either support or oppose their gut health and immune system.
Additionally, the way we serve and prepare food also matters. Heating up leftovers in the microwave or drinking water out of a plastic bottle can actually be damaging to your child’s health. The way we eat absolutely contributes to the way our brains develop. I hope this episode serves as a starting place for you to really consider how you and your children eat.
In this episode, we cover:
- Formula feeding and what to consider when choosing a formula for your baby
- The importance of investigating your food choices
- Why you should get a home water report done
- It’s not just what you eat – it’s how you serve it and prepare it
- Why picky eating is a red flag
- The benefit of babies getting messy
- How changing the way you eat can benefit your entire family
- How our food choices relate to our development
- German baby formula
- Baby formula recipe
- Connect with Dr. Laura on Instagram and Facebook
- Liking the show? Write a review!
- Episode 22: The importance of developmental milestones
- Episode 23: Common interruptions in childhood developmental milestones
- Episode 24: The long-term effects of chronic stress on children
- Episode 25: How the birth process affects a baby’s physiological development
- Episode 26: The link between gut health and brain development
- Episode 27: The link between body chemistry and developmental delay
- Episode 28: How to identify signs of developmental delay
- Episode 29: The methods used to evaluate and treat patients at Connect My Brain
- Episode 30: Success Story: A Mom’s Perspective on Connect My Brain
More about Connect My Brain:
Why is this happening to my kid and what can I do about it? If you’re the parent of a developmentally delayed child, you’ve probably asked this question more than once. That’s where I come in! I’m Dr. Laura Hanson and I specialize in identifying the “why” and telling you the “what.” Join me every Thursday for a deeper look at how our brains are wired and how to get the most out of your mind. Are you looking to break negative patterns, overcome mood disorders, or optimize your potential? Maybe your child struggles with ADHD, OCD or other learning difficulties. Tune in to Connect My Brain, where I explain concepts like biofeedback and neurofeedback, brainwave frequencies, and much more. Let me help you change your life by changing your mind!