Today I want to share a case with you of a child who was toe-walking. At first glance, toe-walking might seem harmless. You might think the child just prefers it, but in reality, toe-walking is a sign of a retained reflex – the Tonic Labyrinthine Reflex (TLR). The TLR reflex already occurs when a baby is in utero and has to do with flexion and extension of the body. In the case of the child that I mentioned, this child experienced a lot of anxiety or worry and their toe-walking was actually triggered by their emotions.
In this episode, I’ll explain more about the TLR and its importance. How we can help our kids integrate this reflex and how reflexes can reappear even if they’ve been dormant for years. I’ll also talk about the role of parents in getting a child the help they need and why you need to be willing to ask questions, share your ideas, and seek second opinions for your child when necessary. Healthcare providers need to work together because true health is composed of so many little pieces and no one knows all of the answers. Remember, it’s never too late for you to help your child!
In this episode, we cover:
- Raising the caliber of healthcare
- The Tonic Labyrinthine Reflex (TLR)
- Why we should not normalize delay
- What astronauts can teach us about child development
- How we can support development in young babies
- Signs that your child might not be comfortable in gravity
- How emotions can trigger reflexes
- Why your reflexes don’t ever disappear
- Integrating reflexes and how they’re linked to everything
- Why healthcare needs to be collaborative
- Details about the NEW Connect My Brain app and membership (coming January 2024!)
- And why it’s not too late for you to help your child!
- Download Dr. Laura’s guide to Developmental Milestones (it’s free!)
- Connect with Dr. Laura on Instagram and Facebook
- Liking the show? Write a review!
More about Connect My Brain:
Why is this happening to my kid and what can I do about it? If you are the parent of a developmentally delayed child then you’ve probably asked this question more than once. That’s where I come in! I’m Dr. Laura Hanson and I specialize in identifying the “why” and telling you the “what.” Join me every Thursday for a deeper look at how our brains are wired and how to get the most out of your mind. Are you looking to break negative patterns, overcome mood disorders, or optimize your potential? Maybe your child struggles with ADHD, OCD or other learning difficulties. Tune in to Connect My Brain, where I explain concepts like biofeedback and neurofeedback, brainwave frequencies, and much more. Let me help you change your life by changing your mind! Contact me HERE.