This is the first part of a two part series on ADHD. ADHD is a condition has become more and more common and unfortunately there is a lot of misinformation out there about it. My goal in these two episodes is to really give you an overview of what ADHD actually is, the history surrounding it, and what the medications used to treat it are doing to a person’s brain.
I recently listened to a podcast focused on medications for kids with ADHD and how these medications were generally okay for kids to take. However, when kids are taking this type of medication during open windows of development, this will impact their cardiovascular, digestive, and immune systems, as well as their brains!
In part one we dive into the history of the ADHD diagnosis – when it first came to attention, how it’s classified, and how the perception of it has changed. We’ll also take a look at ritalin, one of the most common ADHD medications out there, and some of the incredibly dangerous effects of ritalin withdrawal.
If you or your child are being treated for ADD or ADHD, please take the time to listen to this podcast. Education is power and in order to really make the best decisions about your care it is essential that you understand how the medical system is designed to work and what some of the issues are with how ADD and ADHD are handled today.
In this episode, we cover:
- Introduction to two part ADHD series
- Long-term effects of ADHD medications
- ADHD isn’t NORMAL
- Should ADHD really be classified as a mental disorder?
- History around ADD and ADHD diagnosis, treatment, and public perspective of medical professionals
- Why you need to understand how the medical system works
- A close look at ritalin and the dangers of ritalin withdrawal
- Understanding drug schedule categorization
- Why early intervention is key
- Getting to the root cause of our problems
- Dangers of screen time for young kids
- Learn more about the meanings of different drug schedules at DEA.gov
- Buy the book, Brain Wash – Detox Your Mind for Clearer Thinking, Deeper Relationships, and Lasting Happiness
- Dr. Laura’s new location, Brain & Body Rehabilitation Specialists
- Download Dr. Laura’s guide to Developmental Milestones (it’s free!)
- Connect with Dr. Laura on Instagram and Facebook
- Liking the show? Write a review!
More about Connect My Brain:
Why is this happening to my kid and what can I do about it? If you’re the parent of a developmentally delayed child, you’ve probably asked this question more than once. That’s where I come in! I’m Dr. Laura Hanson and I specialize in identifying the “why” and telling you the “what.” Join me every Thursday for a deeper look at how our brains are wired and how to get the most out of your mind. Are you looking to break negative patterns, overcome mood disorders, or optimize your potential? Maybe your child struggles with ADHD, OCD or other learning difficulties. Tune in to Connect My Brain, where I explain concepts like biofeedback and neurofeedback, brainwave frequencies, and much more. Let me help you change your life by changing your mind! Contact me HERE.