Today we’re going to talk about brain injuries. I think this is an important conversation for us to have because often when people hear the term “traumatic brain injury” they think of a really severe injury but don’t think about more mild or moderate injuries. When I talk about traumatic brain injuries, I’m not just talking about severe injuries. I’m talking about everything from a little bump on the head to a head injury that leaves a person in a coma. No matter how severe the injury, your brain will still respond in a similar way and if not taken care of properly, there can be life-changing long-term impacts.
Brain injuries are usually an invisible problem. An individual might seem fine on the outside and they might even think they’re fine without realizing that some of their struggles such as fatigue, irritability, headaches, or trouble focusing are actually a result of their brain injury. Anytime somebody hits their head, their brain literally slams into the inside part of their skull. No matter how severe the hit, this has potential to change or damage the brain. I think that we sometimes take these injuries too lightly because we really don’t understand the chemical changes that occur in the brain after an injury. In this episode I talk about how brain injuries are categorized, long-term effects of brain injuries, and what we should do in order to increase our chances at healing from a brain injury.
In this episode, we cover:
- The invisible side of brain injuries
- How brain injuries are categorized
- What happens to your brain when you hit your head
- Why we need to take “minor” brain injuries more seriously
- Long-term impacts of concussions
- Trauma to the brain can influence our emotions
- My own experience with a brain injury and the long-term effects
- Chemical changes to an injured brain and the long-term effects of these changes
- Why your brain needs rest after an injury
- People can heal from brain injuries – there is always hope!
- How a proper diet can help you heal from a brain injury
- Our goal at Connect My Brain and what we do
- Recommendations if you’ve experienced a brain injury
- Download Dr. Laura’s guide to Developmental Milestones (it’s free!)
- Connect with Dr. Laura on Instagram and Facebook
- Liking the show? Write a review!
More about Connect My Brain:
Why is this happening to my kid and what can I do about it? If you are the parent of a developmentally delayed child then you’ve probably asked this question more than once. That’s where I come in! I’m Dr. Laura Hanson and I specialize in identifying the “why” and telling you the “what.” Join me every Thursday for a deeper look at how our brains are wired and how to get the most out of your mind. Are you looking to break negative patterns, overcome mood disorders, or optimize your potential? Maybe your child struggles with ADHD, OCD or other learning difficulties. Tune in to Connect My Brain, where I explain concepts like biofeedback and neurofeedback, brainwave frequencies, and much more. Let me help you change your life by changing your mind! Contact me HERE.