Listen on: Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and Google Podcasts
Last week I explained what neurofeedback actually is and how it is an incredible tool for self-regulation. Today I’m going to talk about attention deficit disorder (ADD) and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and how neurofeedback therapy can be an amazing option for anyone diagnosed with either ADD or ADHD. In 2011, 1 in 10 children aged 4 – 17 was diagnosed with an attention deficit disorder.
Many children diagnosed with ADD or ADHD are on medication to help improve their focus. Neurofeedback therapy can be used as an alternative to medication or be used in conjunction with it. When used in conjunction, neurofeedback therapy actually makes medication work better. Taking medication for attention deficit disorders seems like the logical route, but if you dive into the research, taking medication to improve focus and attention might be inadvertently having the opposite effect.
Furthermore, psychotropic medications (the kinds used to treat ADD and ADHD) aren’t generally tested on kids under the age of 18, so parents and caregivers need to be aware of what exactly these medications are, what the side effects are, and what their other options are. The good news is neurofeedback therapy is one of the safest ways to improve attention and focus. This episode is packed with information and my hope is to inform and empower you to make the best decision for yourself or for your child.
In this episode, we cover:
- The dangers and side-effects of psychotropic drugs
- Current research on ADD and ADHD
- Why we can’t stick a global label on a child
- Using neurofeedback therapy to improve attention and focus
- Download Dr. Laura’s guide to Developmental Milestones (it’s free!)
- Connect with Dr. Laura on Instagram and Facebook
- Liking the show? Write a review!
- Episode 22: The importance of developmental milestones
- Episode 23: Common interruptions in childhood developmental milestones
- Episode 24: The long-term effects of chronic stress on children
- Episode 25: How the birth process affects a baby’s physiological development
- Episode 26: The link between gut health and brain development
- Episode 27: The link between body chemistry and developmental delay
- Episode 28: How to identify signs of developmental delay
- Episode 29: The methods used to evaluate and treat patients at Connect My Brain
- Episode 30: Success Story: A Mom’s Perspective on Connect My Brain
More about Connect My Brain:
Why is this happening to my kid and what can I do about it? If you’re the parent of a developmentally delayed child, you’ve probably asked this question more than once. That’s where I come in! I’m Dr. Laura Hanson and I specialize in identifying the “why” and telling you the “what.” Join me every Thursday for a deeper look at how our brains are wired and how to get the most out of your mind. Are you looking to break negative patterns, overcome mood disorders, or optimize your potential? Maybe your child struggles with ADHD, OCD or other learning difficulties. Tune in to Connect My Brain, where I explain concepts like biofeedback and neurofeedback, brainwave frequencies, and much more. Let me help you change your life by changing your mind!