Today we’re going to take a close look at PANS (Pediatric Acute-onset Neuropsychiatric Syndrome) and PANDAS (Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorders Associated with Streptococcal Infections). These two diagnoses aren’t as well known as some of the other diagnoses we’ve been talking about, but it’s important for us to talk about them because PANS and PANDAS can have devastating long-term effects on children. There is definite controversy around these topics – some doctors won’t even recognize them as real diagnoses! But, I believe we need to be having these conversations and working together as healthcare providers to figure out the best options for our patients. My goal today is to give you a basic overview and understanding of both PANS and PANDAS.
PANS and PANDAS are diagnosed when a child has a sudden onset of odd behaviors such as obsessive-compulsive behaviors, motor tics, or food restrictions that occur after an infection such as a streptococcal (strep) infection. Kids with PANS and PANDAS are very sick and in addition to the behaviors just mentioned, they will also struggle with a number of other problems that may include anxiety, depression, aggression, and developmental regression. PANS and PANDAS look different for every child but it is always an issue of immune dysregulation. Both PANS and PANDAS are caused by an infection that is not properly treated. In this episode I’ll explain what PANS and PANDAS are, how infections such as strep can attack our brains, and what we can do at Connect My Brain to help. If you’re a parent of a child who has been diagnosed with PANS and PANDAS, my wish is that this episode will give you hope.
In this episode, we cover:
In this episode, we cover:
- What chiropractors are actually trained to do
- What are PANS and PANDAS
- The controversy around PANDAS and PANS
- Why strep infections are a big deal
- The problem with using antibiotics to treat strep
- How the strep bacteria can attack the brain
- How PANS and PANDAS are diagnosed
- Why we can revert back to our primitive reflexes when our bodies are dysregulated
- The science behind autoimmune disorders
- The relationship between your gut and your immune system
- What brain mapping can tell us about a child’s development and current needs
- Brain on Fire: Susannah Catalan’s story
- Dr. Laura’s new location, Brain & Body Rehabilitation Specialists
- Download Dr. Laura’s guide to Developmental Milestones (it’s free!)
- Connect with Dr. Laura on Instagram and Facebook
- Liking the show? Write a review!
More about Connect My Brain:
Why is this happening to my kid and what can I do about it? If you’re the parent of a developmentally delayed child, you’ve probably asked this question more than once. That’s where I come in! I’m Dr. Laura Hanson and I specialize in identifying the “why” and telling you the “what.” Join me every Thursday for a deeper look at how our brains are wired and how to get the most out of your mind. Are you looking to break negative patterns, overcome mood disorders, or optimize your potential? Maybe your child struggles with ADHD, OCD or other learning difficulties. Tune in to Connect My Brain, where I explain concepts like biofeedback and neurofeedback, brainwave frequencies, and much more. Let me help you change your life by changing your mind! Contact me HERE.